Sunday, September 18, 2011

Rainy Day Craft: Tie & Knot Pillows

It's a rainy, cold day here in StL this Sunday. We were looking forward to visiting Eckert's farm today for some apple picking fun, but as always mother nature really loves StL!

Instead of farm filled excitement, I busted out the craft box and told 'em to dig in!  It is our go to box for rainy days, snowy days, or sicky days :)

They decided on making tie and knot pillows, mostly because it was the latest edition to the craft box.  I love crafts, the kids love crafts, but I admit - I have to work really hard at being crafty!  Thrifty is my thing, not crafts! A recent visit to Hobby Lobby (actually my first visit ever) proved to be an overwhelming expeirence.  My hands just wanted to touch everything, ideas started pouring in, and I couldn't believe this was my first time in this STORE! Welp, I spotted some super cute hankercheifs and a little leaflet telling you how to make tie and knot pillows out of them.  SWEET!  Kids will love doing this and how hard cold it be??

So here's what we had to do this craft:

  • scissors
  • 4 hankercheifs
  • polyester stuffing
  • kids LOL

As you can see, Spongebob hankies & zebra stripes.  Cute!

First, I had the kiddos cut strips about 3/4" around the perimeter of the hankies, following the instructions on the handy chart from the store.



Easy enough! Then came time to tie and knot the hankies together.  My daughter wanted to share with her cousin, they created to pillows while my son wanted one giant pillow all to himself. 





Next, according to the directions, you are supposed to place hankies over a pillow form.  I didn't have a pillow form to lay these over, but I did have some polyester stuffing left from a recent E.T. emergency (his armpit hole lead to major stuffing seepage) that I figured would work perfect.  The kiddos greatly enjoyed the stuffing part...
He looks thrilled!

Finally, their pillow creations were complete!



My son's pillow looks more like a plump marshmellow, which pleased my daughter beyond belief.  My son was just happy his was bigger!  I must admit, I like how the girls' turned out:



Adorable!!!

Very happy with how this rainy day craft turned out :) It was a load of fun and I can't wait to try some new crafts soon!  Best part; the whole thing costed less than $5 for all three pillows! AWESOME!

What's your favorite activites to do on rainy days like today? Any tricks or go to things to keep the kiddos entertained?







No comments:

Post a Comment