Thursday, August 4, 2011

Fitness Thursday: Where Does Your Health Land on Your Priority List?

Everyone has a unique outlook on their own health, a general concession on their children's health, and most agree the last thing they need to hear from anyone is what they should or should not be doing, they already know.  Occasionally you might talk to your doctor or your friends, ask for advice, look up things on the net, even turn to a reality show or two and take notes.  But what are you really doing to promote over all health and well being for yourself?

I awoke today feeling a little queasy, tried to push it aside and get on with my normal routine, and headed out to run some errands this morning.  An hour later I am standing in line at the supermarket praying I don't blow chunks on the poor woman in front of me!  Thankfully, I made it through checkout, the drive home, and unloading it all.  I heard rumors of a stomach bug going around and evidently I am just another victim (at least according to my sister whom just dealt with the same scenario several days ago) who has to put life on hold for the next 24 hours and deal with it.

The funny thing, I thought I was just over stressed, usually for me stress leads to what I like to call "stress pains".  The kids are returning to school in two weeks, cut backs at my husband's work, and changes to my own schedule are just a few of those little stressers.  I have learned to cope with stress over the years in several ways to alleviate those stress pains and sometimes prevent them all together by working out and eating healthier.  Simple solutions really.  The more active you are the less time you (or your body) have to lay around and induce more worrisome thoughts upon yourself.  But, once I realized that yeah, this is a virus, you have to call it a day and get well, it got me to thinking, how many other moms put their own health to the side thinking they are doing the right thing by taking care of everyone else first?

This was an excellent point brought up at a recent health seminar I attended at my gym, Ellipse Fitness St. Louis.  The seminar is part of a 4 week program aimed at teaching you ways to rev up your metabolism and offering everything from group workout classes, nutrition support, to the online support.  All of the resources you need to take those next steps at becoming a healthier version of yourself are right there at your disposal.  I must say, what lead me to Ellipse was a horrible experience at a different gym.  I was so humiliated when a trainer pretty well refused to assist me in reaching my goals I almost gave up on the whole sha-bang!

Luckily, Ann, a trainer at Ellipse, offered for me to come out and give it a try.  She explained they were a "classes only" facility and it was a mix of strength training and kick boxing.  Hesitant, I decided to just go and see for myself.  The first class was amazing and hard! I had never kick boxed before and honestly hadn't worked out in years.  At the end of the first class I could feel it head to toe and the adrenaline stuck with me well into the next day.  Every class after has given me the same feeling and even better - a way to spend 45 minutes doing something important for myself.

At one time (until very recently) I would have thought it was selfish, taking 45 minutes out of my day just for my own pure benefit.  Then I attended the first seminar and Ann spoke very clearly, "You have to take care of yourself first, if you don't, you aren't going to benefit anyone else either.."  Those words struck a chord in me and for the first time it made a little more sense in my mind, it's okay to take care of me, I have to take care of me.

The biggest benefit I have received from classes at Ellipse; the support!  Every trainer is readily available to answer any questions I have, they take the time to insure I'm performing the exercises properly so I get the full benefit from each class, and they offer encouragement.  I never feel judged when I walk into class, we are all there for the same reason, to get a great workout!  If you'd like to check out Ellipse, they have a great deal going on right now for a FREE WEEK, just visit their website: www.ellipsefitness.com and print the coupon :)

Other quick tips for healthier living:

~ Avoid soda!  The carbonation in soda can reek havoc on your bones, your digestive system, and lead to unwanted weight gain.

~ Have fresh fruit and veggies readily available to snack on throughout the day. I cut up celery, add baby carrots, and peppers to ziploc bags so I can grab a bag anytime I am running errands.  Of course making a fruitty bag is just as tasty.

~ Note that after a workout your body needs time to rest to recover, especially when doing strength training (weights) you are tearing your muscles and need them to repair in order to properly build muscle. Plus it helps train your body to continue burning calories while at rest, a huge point when trying to loose weight.

~ Attend yearly doctors appointments.  A routine check up can catch signs of problems early and helps maintain your overall well being.



Hope this gets you thinking and as always, I am here for any questions or thoughts you may have!

A few Grocery deals this week:

Aldi:

$0.44 lb Bananas
$0.99 lb Strawberries
$1.49 lb Blueberries
$1.39 cantaloupe
$0.75 lb Red Grapes

Shop 'n' Save:

$2.98 Seedless Watermelon
$1.28 lb tomatoes
2/$0.88 cucumbers or green peppers


Dierbergs:


$0.99 lb purple eggplant
$0.99 lb zucchini or yellow squash
$1.99 Kellog's Cereal

10/$10 mix & match items:

Puffs tissue
Baby peeled carrots
mushrooms
broccoli crowns

Schnucks:

10/$10 mix & match:

Iceberg lettuce
turkey bologna
weber grilling spices
barlett pears
ocean eclipse seafood

2/$4 Jif Peanut Butter
3/$1 ears of corn

No comments:

Post a Comment