Sunday, August 21, 2011

Thrifty Stores Review: Panache Plus & St. Vincent DePaul Thrift Store

Yesterday I had the privilege of enjoying a "girl's day out" with a great friend and my kiddos (yes one of my kids is a boy, but until he fusses over going out with the girls - i will still consider it a girl's day).  We had planned on hitting up some yard sales but the weather in StL wasn't very cooperative!  Back up plan - thrift stores!!

Our first stop was to a relatively new shop located next to Burlington Coat Factory, St. Vincent DePaul Thrift Store. This place is huge! Most of their items are organized well and the store staff are very helpful.  I found a few goodies, almost bought a huge mirror but decided to wait.  Way to early in the day to make a large purchase.  We got to the checkout line and spot an outdoor bench being carried through the air to the front, manager says it's $10!! I was about to interrupt and say SOLD - but another shopper had staked their claim.  Disappointed :(

We then ventured a little further south and I remember seeing this cute looking boutique that carries women's clothing, sizes ranging from 12 & up.  We made a bee line up Kingshighway to Echilberger!  The cute boutique is called Panache Plus, specializing in women's plus sized clothing and alterations.  Immediately the store window displays draw you in, and then - boutique heaven!! The whole store is adorable, chic, posh, fresh!! Shoes - my shopping addiction - are off to the left along with a wall of purses and some crafty handmade gifts throughout.  Several racks of clothing are also smiling at you, and then the kicker!  A doorway leading to another area on the left holds a nice surprise - MORE CLOTHES, two dressing rooms, a kids play area, a runway like strutting area with a fabulous mirror, and an entire formal dress area!  I was shocked.  For the first time I had entered a store that catered to my every need!  The kiddos parked it on the playmat while me and my bff shopped our hearts out.

I found four tops (all items are brand names), 1 pair of capris, and a brand new pair of shorts.  Then proceeded to score a pair of heels, 3 pairs of adorable earrings, and even a couple of pieces of candy for my amazingly well behaved kids!  I spent $49.21, thanks to a few awesome sales going on, and everything I bought probably retailed near the $230 mark.  Sweet!!  My bff did just as well coming in at $48 :)

Another positive - V.I.P. Discount Card - every time you spend $10 before tax, it earns you a punch on the card.  After $100 (ten punches) you earn $10 off your next $25 purchase.  Just another great incentive I highly recommend you check out!  The store offers a lay-a-way plan, consignment, trendy accessories, jewelry, and handmade gifts.

<3 it!!  In case you couldn't tell, my favorite part was just how much fun I had while shopping there.  The ambiance of the shop created a highly enjoyable atmosphere, I didn't feel rushed, and there is nothing better than finding clothing in women's sizes at bargain prices!

After our visit to Panache Plus, I had a feeling other resale shops were going to feel like second fiddle.  We headed to another church owned thrift store on South Broadway - I apologize but I can't remember the name - it has been open only a few months as well and I didn't find a lot.  I did score a super cute purple vase for a buck, kids found a few toys and some vhs tapes that normally I wouldn't buy, but hey, they had been so good!  My bff found some retro blue glasses, $0.50 for all of them!  Again, it's a hunting game, some days you find the treasure trove and others it's hit and miss.

All in all, an excellent day considering the rain.  We ended our day doing something I had never done - I got my eyebrows waxed!! A little off the subject I know, but my bff pushed me to do it, kind of one of those bucket list things, and after such a great bargain hunting day, I figured, why not?  I braved it, it hurt, I survived!  And my eyebrows look gorgeous now LOL! 

Panache Plus
5400 S. Kingshighway
St Louis MO 63109
314-352-3838
http://panacheplusresale.com/Home_Page.html

St. Vincent DePaul Thrift Store
4928 Christy Blvd
St. Louis MO 63116
314-352-4000
call for pick up of donations - 314-881-6006


No comments:

Post a Comment